Student Enrollment

There’s a number of unresolved questions around student enrollment. I’m going to give my first impressions on these issues, anyone is welcome to challenge the logic and raise further questions!

Where do we find the students?

My thought is we’ll need to do some level of advertising and self-assessment here. We can go to places where developers with the experience we are looking for are likely to hang out and make content to pique their interest. We can create a landing page that explains a bit about the course, some videos showing what a live classroom will be like, and open up a channel of communication for incoming students with questions.

What level of experience are we looking for?

Initially I’m thinking experienced web developers. A web developer with 1-2+ years of professional experience will likely be good. If they can put up a web application, understand client/server architecture and feel comfortable with JavaScript I think they’ll be in the ideal position to start the course. From that point we can teach them how a blockchain works, teach them Solidity, and teach them how wire their front-end application up to a blockchain back-end.

How many students can we accept?

We certainly don’t want to overwhelm teachers with a large classroom. For the live classroom application it will be difficult to be able to work 1 on 1 with struggling students for a class over 50. If we have multiple teachers on-hand just to be able to answer student questions and help out and struggling students we may be able to extend this a bit. We’ll also need to manually review student projects to make sure they are hitting the appropriate milestones and award Course Completion Certificates. I’m hoping the initial set of students can be somewhere in the 30-50 range.

Do we require a financial commitment from students?

Ideally most of the operating costs are covered by donations. I would like to run a campaign to see if we can have the Ethereum community donate towards this cause. If we don’t achieve full operation expense coverage there’s no other option than require that students cover the rest. I think some of us will work out of the kindness of our hearts, but I would like to see most efforts by contributors be paid.

Even if the operating costs are covered completely by donations I believe we need to require some level of financial commitment from students if we’re going to cap the class size at a certain number. This way we don’t end up turning down ideal students for other students who took their spot and don’t intend on going through with the full course.

BUIDL Academy Design

I was thinking another question to consider would be:
What minimum configuration is required to complete the course?

The answer will depend on the content of your curriculum. When beginning in development (especially something as experimental as BC dev) it is reassuring to know that there are some shared “standards” among developers.

That way, students will know beforehand whether they need to upgrade to a different OS, acquire a different notebook/desktop (re: drive capacity, RAM). This can also help contextualise issues when discussing development problems down the line with (other) students.

Does this make sense? :pensive: